My Epic Friend and I go waaaaaay back. We have been friends for approximately 28 years, since the 6th (me) and 7th (her) grade.
Together, we have had the funniest and most memorable moments! One of the epic moments was when we were confronted by a dog after we walked home from shopping. Another was when we set off the smoke alarm when we baked!
She was my constant sounding board about my exploits (let’s not get into that — HAHAHA!), and I was hers (nope, not getting into that either!). We were constant companions all throughout highschool. However, her family migrated to Canada right after her senior year.
It was sad, yes, but we kept in touch, with (at that time) a lot of snail mail. Look, she actually compiled all my letters to her!
She had been returning every other year or so (stretching to nearly 3 years at a time in the more recent past) for weddings, and a few vacations. When she returned last in 2006 or 2008, she said that it was probably her final trip to Manila, because there was no real reason for her to come back, as there are no more weddings to attend, nor family to visit, and perhaps, it was my turn to visit her.
Finally, this year was THE year. Yep, I made that trip to Canada, where she has been living for the past 20+ years. And I was so glad I did.
We were able to rekindle old ties, and make new ones. I don’t think it’s going to ever be the same, as distance truly (pardon the pun) gets in the way. But as I mentioned in my note to her, relationships really need to be worked at, and that while I may have not been in touch a lot before, the trip helped in my understanding why I should.
So we should reach out to each other, halfway, to enable to continue that friendship we have been at for so long.
So thank you, my Epic Friend, SS!
While I am at it, I might as well tell all of you about this contest that Toblerone Pilipinas is running. The mechanics are below, but basically, it gives you a chance to thank your Epic Friend.
1. Like the Toblerone Pilipinas Fan Page.
2. Upload a photo of your epic friend and yourself at the Toblerone Pilipinas Fan Page.
3. Tag Toblerone Pilipinas, yourself, and your epic friend in the photo.
4. Post your story on the caption section of the photo.
5. Have your epic friend like the photo. He/she must not be deceased and must possess a Facebook account which can be verified.
6. A panel of judges comprised of the Toblerone team and GMCI will determine the ten (10) winners of this promo.
7. Promo will run from July 5, 2010 to August 11, 2010. Cut-off will be at 5pm.
8. Participants and winners must agree that Toblerone reserves the right to use all information/materials gathered from the promo for PR purposes.
9. Contest is open to ALL Philippine residents nationwide. Prizes will be shipped to provincial winners, but The Spa GCs can only be used in Metro Manila.
30% Judges’ decision
70% Facebook likes
Each winner will get a Toblerone Teddy Bear gift pack and a Wellness Package card from The Spa worth P2,000. There will be a total of ten (10) winners for this promo.